Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Coming to America...




En iniya thozheegale...Paasathukuriya Anusha Ezhudhigiren...

Hmm...hi all...its been a really long time since I mailed you gals, my GFs. Oops...did i say GF? :( Oh god, what a nut I am....I totally forgot that I am not supposed to be using a term like this in this Conservative Area of California :) hmm...Well I would like to squander some precious time of you gals and read these mails of mine which I have decided to try to send one per week. By these emails I would like to share some WANTED, UNWANTED Information about ANYTHING. It could be about you, me, my friends, experiences in India and US, or some HOT topic.I am sure each of you would enjoy reading it as always.

I would like to recount an incident which happened when Shan ("Singapore" Priya is the new title I have conferred on her)and I went to watch a movie "Hum Tum" a remake of "When Harry met Sally". There was a movie called "Girl Friend" - an Isha Koppikar Starrer being showcast in the same theatre and some Junta there saw Shan and I looking at the Banner in AWE (AWE is not the word, AWEFUL is the word) and they looked at us. We got slightly embarassed but made a joke of that and escaped into the theatre...Hmm... Btw did you notice the subject of this mail "Coming to America"??? Hmm...got a reason to choose a subject line like that :) Before that lemme tell you a lil about Bakersfield and CA as such. My husband and I live in Bakersfield which is a city in California State close to LA City. The LA International Airport and the Malibu beach (where the "great abs" man Brad Pitt is supposed to have moved in with the "Lips Cutie" Angelina Jolie)are just 1 and 1/2 hours from our home. See I am giving you this information or rather I would say Gossip. I seem to have become suddenly obnoxious these days reading or following every gossip happening in the Tinsel World of Hollywood by reading papers or watching Television not that I was not one before which i am sure most of you would agree. LEMME COME TO THE POINT!

Bakersfield is basically a very calm city with a lot of Conservatives settled here (for those of you unfamiliar with US Politics...well I would not expect us to know about it when we have all those lousy characters like Lallu, Mayavati to worry about, why would we worry about the WHO-WHOS of American Politics) Conservatives or Republicans are the people who support the BUSH Administration and Democrats or Federals are the people who support the Opposition (Clinton, John Kerry belong to Democratic Party). LEMME COME TO THE POINT!

When I moved in here with my husband, I was surprised to see a lot of families here which my husband explained that Conservatives always give preference to Family and Family ties and so you can see a lot of families around. It was very different from what I pereceived to be about the US. I guess a lot of us have misconceptions about this place. Well I would not vouch and say that its safe to lead a very health cultural life here yes there are places like New York, NJ etc where you would find a lot of Cultural Confusion. Single Moms, Living-In Couples, Drugs, Hippies etc. US is 50% of what the Soap Operas like the Bold and Beautiful and Santa Barbara are about and 50 % of what the Mega Serials like Metti Olee and Annamalai are about...It is not a safe place to bring up kids especially teens. Parents of teenagers are super caferul about the boy or gal their offspring seem to date. Having come from a rich cultural savvy country like India, it would be a cultural shock to see whats happening here...

Hmm...Did you get a faint picture of what I said in this junk write up of mine?? If not mail me for clarifications :P Just Kidding...

I chose the subject "Coming to America" cos these are my immediate observations after coming here. Thats what I meant in the 2nd para, what did you gals think??? :) Just Kidding. I happened to watch a movie called "Coming to America" - an Eddy Murphy starrer. Its a really funny movie about how an African Prince comes to the US of A to seek his bride. Our very own tamil movie "My dear Mathandan" is a copy of this English Movie...Do watch it when you get the chance.

Wait for the next "Pluck Pluck Patel", "Laguna...its the pardes Marina", "Angels and Demons(Tis not about Dan Brown's but mine - about MIND)" write-ups of mine...Hey do I sound like Pepsi Uma asking you to wait for the next episode???? Hee :) Hee :))

Lemme know your comments.

cheers
AnUsHa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:
Location: Chennai, Tamilnadu, India

I love Doing ARTS and CRAFTS but somehow do not want to do it.


Which HP Kid Are You?