Tuesday, March 14, 2006

A poem on financial calculator !

I am not sure how many people have seen a financial calculator leave alone using it. I was one of that kind until my financial planning programme at UCLA began this January. The students were supposed to introduce themselves at the beginning of the term and obviously I was not an exception. I wrote about myself (the usual blah blah), the country I hail from and concluded with few lines of my hobbies which unfortunately/fortunately included poetry writing. My instructor was quick enough to jump on this and requested me to pen down a poem on the financial calculator HP 12C. He said that there was no poem composed on a financial calculator before and pepped me up saying 'why dont you be the first to come up with it?'.

I agreed to his request half heartedly and procastinated the writing to the end of the Quarter. It struck me yesterday that the Winter Quarter's gonna end in a weeks time and so had to compose the poem. Hmm...I decided to give my brain some food for thought. I managed to come up with a poem yesterday.

A little history about HP 12C.Its one of the sought after brands of financial calculator and is an amazing electronic device with rocking powers and costing hell lotta money. It cost me half of my monthly pocket money :( Darn It !Its exclusively and exhaustively used by folks in the finance and accounting world.I bought it in the beginning of Jan as it was mandatory to have and use the same in my course.

Tis how it looks



And here goes the poem :-

I was wandering in the mall
In the last week of fall
Little did I foresee
That I gonna buy the HP 12C

Oh boy, it seems to be magic
this beautiful thing works on logic
donning the look of a simple calculator
tis works like a super computer

calculating the mortgage made me dizzy
thanks to the AMORT key, my life got easy
my friend's life was touching its lows
until the NPV key manipulated cashflows

for those with a penchant for bonds
the YTM key works like James Bond
for those with money in the bank
the INT key worked out the interest with a bang

for those who have a financial career
the HP 12 C makes life merrier
hurry up and buy this wonder today
if you have hopes of being a planner someday !


Thank goodness, my course lecturer liked it so much and is planning to use this in his future classes during the Orientation Sessions. Thats really some good news to hear :) The 'not so bad performances'in the mid terms had deflated my ego (just kidding). The feedback on the poem gave a boost to my spirits (i hope this spirit lasts enough until the impending final exams:)...)and convinced me that I am a good poet afterall :)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,

Gr8 poem! In fact, I've read most of ur poems here in ur blog. So far, this is my favorite because it is about a lifeless machine. I think it is difficult to pen about such things.

Btw, I was not from AV. Just happened to know few of 'em. Thaz it.

March 15, 2006 9:41 AM  
Blogger Ananya S P said...

Thanks Anon :)

So you are not from AV, is it? Ok...

March 15, 2006 11:02 AM  
Blogger Vasu the terrible said...

nice poem actually. I am reminded of the palenquien bearer by Sarojini Naidu. She had the unique abilty to write poetry about seemingly mundane day-to-day life..

Point to ponder: Would the poet's name be there everytime the poem is shown in the orientation class ? You should ensure that.

vasu

March 15, 2006 9:11 PM  
Blogger Ananya S P said...

Thanks Vasu :)

As for my name shown in the orientation class, I just hope so :)

March 15, 2006 9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi..
that's a pretty neat poem..This is the first time ive come across your blog...it's pretty neat

March 23, 2006 10:21 PM  
Blogger Ananya S P said...

Thanks Navin :)

Good to know you liked the poem !

March 26, 2006 10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:
Location: Chennai, Tamilnadu, India

I love Doing ARTS and CRAFTS but somehow do not want to do it.


Which HP Kid Are You?