Friday, September 29, 2006

Navarathiri Myth at home...


We have the traditional of keeping 'gholu or 'kolu' at home like most people. My mom and I started keeping 'kolu' at home since I was 5 years old. I remember the initial dolls we bought - "Vennaithaazhi Krishna", "Dasaavatharam", "Ramar Set" etc. We later bought dolls at Triplicane(Bommukutti Chathiram near Sri Parthasarathy Swamy temple), Mylapore Tank, North Usman Road(near GRT) and now have a huge collection of dolls. Though I have been away from home since 98, I used to make it a point to go home at the beginning of Navarathiri to help my parents set the doll display and later during the Saraswathi Pooja and Vijayadasami. While my mom and I would be unpacking the box and unwrapping the dolls, my dad would go about setting the Dasaavatharam on the 2nd or 3rd top shelf and will keep them in CORRECT WRONG order. The various combinations had been "Matsyam, Varaaham, Koormam, Narasimhar, Vaamana, Parasurama, Rama, Balarama, Krishna, Kalki", "Matsyam, Koormam, Varaham, Vaamana, Narasimhar, Parasurama, Rama, Balarama, Krishna, Kalki", "Matsyam, Koormam, Varaham, Narasimhar, Vaamana, Parasurama, Balarama, Rama, Krishna, Kalki" and many more(those days Balarama was considered an Avatar. These days you see him replaced with Buddha!)

I would always ask them how they keep forgetting the correct order and keep them wrong everytime. They would tell me "we dont know...". I am here in the US now and they have kept kolu at home and as usual goofed up the order. Thanks to our neighbour kid (Apoorva - she is a darling angel)the correct order has been kept. The kid had the presence of mind to cross check with a Panchangam(5 Vayasula enakku panchangame ennannu theriyaadhu). When I told this to my hubby, he said that "Your parents always knew the correct order. Its just that they wanted you kids to know the correct order and tell them!". Maybe he is right! Its just that they were playing the fool with me for me to learn...Nonetheless whether they know or dont know the right order always seem to be a Myth or Navarathiri Myth at my home :)

10 Comments:

Blogger Jinguchakka said...

Buddha for Balarama! Sheesh...

September 30, 2006 9:54 AM  
Blogger rads said...

ooo, that's the flip side of forgetting the order of dasavatarams :)

Golus are fun, I was out for 4 hrs last evening driving to various homes, and them tomorrow's another long day on the road. Enjoy it :)

September 30, 2006 11:01 AM  
Blogger Ananya S P said...

Welcome jinguchakka and rads!

keep visiting :)

September 30, 2006 11:05 AM  
Blogger vishy said...

Golu.. hmm I dont remember when was the last time I even saw Golu.. have been out of Madras since 99... huh... just can't even imagine tht 8 yrs have passed by so fast..

btw correct order enna??

September 30, 2006 12:04 PM  
Blogger Ananya S P said...

vishy,
Welcome :)
The correct order is

"Matsya, Koorma, Varaaha, Narasimha, Vaamana, Parasurama, Rama, Balarama, Krishna and Kalki"!

September 30, 2006 12:19 PM  
Blogger vishy said...

parava illaye.. vetcha test ku correct aah answer sollita. lol...

September 30, 2006 12:41 PM  
Blogger Inder said...

balarama replaced by buddha!!?? i think the only similarity between them is that their names start with 'b' :P

October 02, 2006 6:18 AM  
Blogger D LordLabak said...

Happy Golu...well Vijayadashami.

October 02, 2006 11:38 AM  
Blogger Ananya S P said...

inder,
yeah even I feel the same...Welcome to my blog :)

deepa,
dhanku...wish u the same...btw did u keep golu? I kept it last year but not this year...somberithanathunaala freeaa vittuten :p

October 02, 2006 2:06 PM  
Blogger Known Stranger said...

there is a village near villupuram - couldnt recall the name. it is very famous for artistic creative kollu pommai. i was aware of this village when my sis got married and first year thalai gollu. I had been given the responsiblity to purchase - when i been there - i found some set ( like dhasavadharam ) that i never knew few of the mythological stories. just to know the stories - i bouught and learnt. Hindu thelogy is one strange funny thing that have mythology so complicated.

One day i will again go to that village seriously thinking how about exporting them.

October 26, 2006 8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:
Location: Chennai, Tamilnadu, India

I love Doing ARTS and CRAFTS but somehow do not want to do it.


Which HP Kid Are You?