Friday, December 01, 2006

NRI Blues...

During my recent trip to India, I accompanied my friend on her betrothal saree purchase. We decided to start with Srinivasa Silks and then move to Hayagriva(s) and end with Nalli 100. Ofcourse this was to be followed by a visit to Globus to pick up her fiance's clothing (her fiance is a good friend of mine...), have a quick snack at Sri Krishna Sweets and then go to Jewellery Land viz G R T, Usman Road. I am a fast shopper and I dont spend more than 10 minutes choosing a saree. Infact I picked up all my wedding sarees in a record time of 30 mins. Though my friend is aware of this, she took me along...

Having seen around 100 sarees at Srinivasa Silks, my friend was not able to come to a conclusion so we politely told them that we would come later and went to Hayagrivas getting drenched in the rain enroute (It was pouring cats and dogs in Chennai...Actually the rains this time started the minute I stepped out of Airport...Nallavanga Vandhaa Mazhai Peiyathaane Seiyum :p ;)...Seri...Seri...Idhu over dhaan...)

A saleswoman at Hayagrivas showed us a decent collection of Sarees. When we checked the prices of the sarees which we shortlisted we were shocked to see them overpriced. The saleswoman assured us saying that the price on the tag was the price for NRI and for others (common man) it was half of what was quoted on the tag...I was zapped when she completed her small speech.

Actually the real worth of the saree was half the quoted price or tagged price(analysed and found later after talking to Mambalam Mamis who visit Nalli and Kumaran every month). So we realised that Hayagrivas was actually employing the strategy of increasing the price to 2 fold and displaying it as a tag and when a common man(in this case the female folks who buy...) wants to buy the same, the cashier reduces the price by half and sells it...Its a strategy which works on the psyche level...The customer has the satisfaction that he/she bought it for half of what an NRI would have shelved/shelve and go home happy with the purchase.

My friend's father pointing at me asked the saleswoman that 'She is a NRI. Would you sell her this saree for Rs 12000/= when you are ready to give it to me for Rs 6000/=?'. The lady did not know what to say but just gave me a sheepish smile...

Adappaavigalaa...As Comedian Vivek says 'Ippo dhaan puriyardhu Tamilnadu va kandu yen ulagam bayapadurdhunnu (Now its clear as to why the whole world is scared of Tamilnadu)!

:)

21 Comments:

Blogger Lavanya said...

i have been thru the hayagriva's exp. i bought all of my wedding sarees there...but in chennai there r so many shops which follow this system...watch it!! And double the price is for foreigners and not for anybody who looks even remotely Indian. :)

December 02, 2006 4:37 AM  
Blogger kuttichuvaru said...

nalla kathaiyaa irukke!! inga NRIs padara kashtam avangalukku enga theriya poguthu!!

December 03, 2006 8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

capitalism and entrepreneurship at work.. gotta admire it..

December 03, 2006 3:59 PM  
Blogger Jinguchakka said...

The tour buses which show the city for the foreigners stop at Hayagrivas. I've seen that. That shop is not for Indians. :-)

btw, kolam yenga kanOm?

December 04, 2006 9:05 AM  
Blogger Jinguchakka said...

Update:
Found it. Problem with my browser!

December 04, 2006 9:06 AM  
Blogger Ananya S P said...

lavanya,
What you said might be true but as far as I know its the only shop which makes use of that strategy...Nalli does not resort to such tricks...Ofcourse the saree collection is found to be good by some folks...

kutti,
well said :)

tejus,
you got a point!

jinguchakka,
Ok...Dont the tour buses stop at Nalli/RMKv? I am surprised...

December 04, 2006 9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting!!

December 04, 2006 10:49 AM  
Blogger B o o said...

Hi, First time here. And you are so right about Hayagrivas being the only shop to do this kind of trick. It has double the original price in its tag. And I bought my wedding saree there 6 years back! With all the current competition, I woulld have thought they changed the strategy. It only proves that they are thriving! And yes, I was quoting the tag price to everyone who asked how much the saree was. So there! ;)

December 04, 2006 7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats atrocious.

December 05, 2006 4:42 PM  
Blogger Ananya S P said...

askbabloo,
Yes indeed!

boo,
Welcome :) Alas someone to authenticate their trick besides me :)

deepa,
Aamam ba!

ajay,
Welcome :)
Yeah the policy seems to be stupid. Thank goodness other shops r not following suit else we would be robbed in broad daylight!

December 05, 2006 5:32 PM  
Blogger Inder said...

that is shocking...

December 06, 2006 7:17 AM  
Blogger Hell's Angel said...

Nice strategy to fleece ppl!!

December 06, 2006 7:43 AM  
Blogger Ananya S P said...

inder,
Yes indeed!

hell's angel,
Welcome!

December 07, 2006 10:31 AM  
Blogger Saravanan said...

Yes, there is no doubt that they cheat a lot nowadays, Question to them is Why the hell they spoil the name of Tamil nadu with others especially when a foreigner comes to buy things? Its real heights...

At the same time, may be we have to ask ourselves why do the shop owners play this game? is it coz our local people bargain too much until the shop owners are spoiled by such customers to make it look like a great profit sale? Its the question that all buyers have to answer.

December 07, 2006 10:23 PM  
Blogger APAM NAPAT said...

thats why I don't wear sarees.

December 07, 2006 11:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have been to Hayagriva Silk House many times and know the owners as well. They are manufacturers and wholesalers of Kanchipuram Silk Sarees and are actually suppliers to Nalli, Kumaran and the like. I had asked them why they had such a pricing policy - their response was that their first retail outlets were in Kanchipuram with a large tourist clientèle. The government and private tourist guides apparently demand a cut. Hence their policy is what they said - they seem to have since changed it.

January 04, 2008 9:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi,
Great blog nice n useful information , it is very helpful for me , I realy appreciate thanks for sharing. I would like to read more information thanks.
Hayagrivas Pattu saree

February 20, 2014 2:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi,
Great blog nice n useful information , it is very helpful for me , I realy appreciate thanks for sharing. I would like to read more information thanks
Hayagrivas Pattu saree

February 20, 2014 2:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi,
Thanks a lot for sharing such a good source with all, i appreciate your efforts taken for the same. I found this worth sharing and must share this with all.
Hayagrivas Pattu saree

February 24, 2014 3:31 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi,
Thanks for sharing your info. I really appreciate your efforts and I will be waiting for your further write ups thanks once again.
Hayagrivas Pattu saree

March 18, 2014 12:02 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi,
Thanks for the list. You should always ping your blog every time you update if you want your blog to be truly successful
Hayagrivas sarees online shopping

March 26, 2014 12:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:
Location: Chennai, Tamilnadu, India

I love Doing ARTS and CRAFTS but somehow do not want to do it.


Which HP Kid Are You?