Monday, October 02, 2006

Chamaththa slokam sollu...appo dhaan padippu varum!


A close pal of mine had called me up from India yesterday and we were talking about the Saraswathi Pooja celebrations at home. I remember the celebrations which we had at home every year. My mom would take the Saraswathi, Lakshmi and Ganesha idols from the pooja room and place them on a 'manai'(a low wooden plank), after decorating the plank with a 'padikkolam'. She would decorate the idols with chains, flowers etc. Then she would keep her office books, bhagavad gita, cheque book and would ask dad to do the same. As for me, I would be asked to keep my academic books(majorly text books), 'suthee petti', music notes, pen, geometry box etc etc. After I joined college, it was my OS, DS, DLD, CO books...phew...Happy to find that things are well kept before the idols, she would go about cooking the delicacies while my dad would insist on a 1 hour recital of slokas with me sitting next to him and offering flowers mumbling 'namaha', 'potri'. Since I was a hindi student (I know Sriram, I am a tamil drogi :p You need not re-iterate that here :p) I escaped reciting all the tamil slokas from books. Once the sloka recital is done, my job was to keep sandanam and kumkumum on every damn thing in the house - main door, television, refrigerator, music system, computer and what not...Next day keekave vendaam...Akshadai pottu, ellla subjects lendhum oru page padikkanum...Phew...Adhu poradhunnu amma would ask me to sing few carnatic songs...Maattennu sonna..."Chamaththa slokam sollu...appo dhaan padippu varum!"

Whenever I think of those days, I drift into nostalgia. Though I made a fuss about getting up early for those pooja(s) then, when I think of them now, I am like "Good old days!". I loved those days more for the reason that I got to eat vadai, chakkrapongal, more kuzhambu, appalam and what not...My childhood friend Pratap who used to join me in this food exploits had his own reason to rejoice these festivals especially Saraswathi Pooja. Guess why? That was the only day his parents would not urge/nag/pester him to study. Especially during our board years (10th and 12th), he was made to study for 8-10 hours besides school. So Saraswathi Pooja day was the only day he could watch television and hang out with friends rather than studying. Unfortunately his joy was short lived for a day and his parents would be back to their usual self on Vijayadasami...Ennatha padichu, ennatha panradhu!!!

11 Comments:

Blogger The Kid said...

patta pattaya, mouse maela viboodhi potirukku, aana blog fulla orae iyengar jargon a irrukae. Neenga enna, madham maaritingala ?

October 02, 2006 10:07 PM  
Blogger The Inquisitive Akka said...

I feel all nostalgic now!Actually my mom was here with me this Navaratri but I still miss the good old days!

October 03, 2006 4:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey i copied the mouse pic into my drive..i wanna use it sometime in future..thanks..nice blog

October 03, 2006 11:39 AM  
Blogger rads said...

love that samiyar mouse ;-)

There's a saying in telugu - the goneby days always rock [rock is my addition :D]

You did mean 'sruthi' not 'suthi' right? coz there's a world of difference between 'raaga' and 'hammer' :)

October 03, 2006 11:51 AM  
Blogger Ananya S P said...

the kid,
Hariyum Sivanum Onnu! Ariyadhavan Vaayila Mannu :)

akka,
Yeah old days make us drift into nostalgia!

anonymous,
Sure. No problem.

October 03, 2006 11:52 AM  
Blogger Ananya S P said...

rads,

I meant 'sruthi' but its called 'suthipettee'...Hammer is called 'suththi' right :)
Yabba...Ore Confusion :p

October 03, 2006 11:55 AM  
Blogger The Kid said...

edho incoheranta irrukaennnu sonna odanae "Ponniyin selvan" quote pannaringalae. Yes, I know, sand in my mouth. :)

btw, this is a funny thing that I heard from one of the Iyengar grandmas in my neighbourhood, that "even if a mad elephant is chasing iyengars they would not enter a shiva temple to save themselves." Are shiva temples THAT in-aupicious? I found that to be very funny.

October 03, 2006 1:58 PM  
Blogger Ananya S P said...

the kid,

Oh is it so? Did she mention who that mad elephant was?(Iyer Maami?) :)

Just kidding...personally I dont believe in all that crap...We worship Shiva with equal devotion. Infact my dad is a staunch Shiva Devotee and we have a 'spadiga' lingam at home!

October 03, 2006 2:23 PM  
Blogger I said...

Studying Indhi is not Tamil dhrogam. But liking it is!

October 03, 2006 2:56 PM  
Blogger Known Stranger said...

for sarswati pooja - i never kept my books. thatz why i think goddess sarswati never flirted with me.

October 26, 2006 8:31 PM  
Blogger ybr (alias ybrao a donkey) said...

Nostalgia is good. There is much more beyond. www.bhagavadgitayb.blogspot.com
www.bhartruhariyb.blogspot.com

November 20, 2006 12:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:
Location: Chennai, Tamilnadu, India

I love Doing ARTS and CRAFTS but somehow do not want to do it.


Which HP Kid Are You?