Friday, December 02, 2005

Bricks and Bats from Steve Waugh...

Well, I am not an expert as far as cricketing terms like inside edge, short delivery, googly go but I like watching the game if its played in good spirit. In the olden days, when cricket had its advent in England, it used to be known as the Gentlemen's game. Unfortunately these days controversies, ball tampering, pitch tampering, match fixing seem to be synonymous with every game of cricket thats played.

Just like any Indian, I love to watch India play especially against Pakistan and Australia. When Sachin hits a six on Saqlain's delivery, my heart jumps with joy the same way he hits Warne's ball to the fence. More than that I like the spirit of the cricketers on the field. Warne complimenting Sachin, Dravid complimenting Hayden, Inzamam shows the good sportsmanship of these cricketers.

Unfortunately over the past few months the Kolkatan's protest of Ganguly's expellation from the team, repeated Unruly behaviour from the Eden Garden's Crowd, the media's lashing at Ganguly and Chappel have brought negative feelings about the game of cricket played in India.
Adding fuel to the fire is Steve Waugh's comments about Ganguly in his autobiography "Out of my comfort zone". Waugh says that the then Indian captain's bickering over pitches "was not too different from match-fixing".

I respect Steve Waugh as a player infact he is my favourite Australian Cricketer but I am just curious to know whether he has mentioned anything about his twin's brother's acceptance of money from a bookie.

I have not read the book not that I intend doing but I was just curious that whether Waugh has been honest enough to have mentioned it especially since he voices his views on Ganguly...

Thanks goodness, Steve gives some credit to Ganguly...He writes "I saw in Sourav a committed individual who wanted to inject some toughness and combativeness into a side that had often tended in the past to roll over and expose a soft underbelly"

I sincerely feel that Saurav should be given a chance to return to the game not as a captain but as a member of the team. We should not forget his accomplishments. He is amazing left handed batsman who has contributed to India's totals in test in the past. Lets give him another chance, another hope...

AnUsHa

PS: please note that I am not a Saurav Ganguly fan. Anyday I would vouch for Sachin and Lara. Its just that I feel that every man should be given a second chance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:
Location: Chennai, Tamilnadu, India

I love Doing ARTS and CRAFTS but somehow do not want to do it.


Which HP Kid Are You?